All      Thoughts      Photography      Beauty      Fitness      Lifestyle      Food

Friday, 20 March 2015

Top 5 Travel Tips: The Overnighter


I recently made it through a 24 hour coach journey, something I never thought I'd be able to master! I've always had trouble sleeping on planes and buses, I end up feeling awful, head spinning, appetite lost. These are my top 5 travel tips to help you get through your overnight journey:

1. Travel Sickness Tablets If there's a slight chance you could feel sick on the journey, make sure you take travel sickness tablets and keep topping it up. I use Stugeron which I find does the job. Each medication is different but I take two tablets two hours before travel then one every eight hours. How would you like to feel ill for 24 hours?

2. Temperature Change I always find that I get either too hot or too cold very easily when I'm traveling so a warm hoodie which I can easily take off is a must for me! It's also really comfortable and will help you drift off.

3. Music Before I traveled, I created a playlist of slower and instrumental music that would help me get to sleep or generally relax me. I downloaded some songs specifically for the journey. These are my favourite songs from my playlist:

Holocene - Bon Iver
Warm Foothills - Alt-J
Uranus - Sleeping At Last
Moon - Sleeping At Last
Sights - London Grammar

I also downloaded this for free from Noisetrade. When I had got past the relaxing stage and was ready for sleep, I played this on loop. Having these sounds playing in my ears helped to further relax me and allowed me to tune out what was going on around me. Download it for your next journey. If you'd like me to publish my sleep playlist, leave a comment ;)

4. Food and Drink One of the reasons why I'm not a fan of traveling is that it makes me feel ill and generally disgusting. Often when I feel like this, that last thing I want to do is eat but trust me, it makes you feel better! If you're on an aeroplane, try to eat as much as you can of what they give you, it will honestly make a huge difference. If you're not traveling on a plane (or even if you are!), I would take some plain food that you can nibble on, nothing too rich. I recently discovered Belvita which worked for me! Also, WATER IS YOUR BEST FRIEND. I feel like this is the case all the time but I find that it is especially important for travelling. Stay hydrated!

5. Freshening Up If you're traveling overnight, be sure to take either a toothbrush and toothpaste or mints (or both! That's what I did!) because it will make you feel instantly more awake and fresh and the people around you will like you more. I also take a packet of makeup wipes (bad, I know) so I can freshen up wherever I am. 

I hope this helped you, good luck!
What are your travel tips?

Waffling Waffles